Application Deadline: January 10th 2021
The Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) is a leading scientific and technology research organisation that researches, develops, localises and diffuses technologies to accelerate socio-economic prosperity in South Africa. The organisation’s work contributes to industrial development and supports a capable state.
The CSIR has Internship opportunities in the Information and Cyber Security Centre within the Defence and Security Cluster. The purpose of the Internship is to provide graduates with an opportunity to gain practical work experience through involvement in information and cybersecurity R&D projects. This opportunity will allow successful candidates to be involved in the research, conceptualization, design, development, testing, and/or maintenance of cybersecurity and identity management solutions with the aim to protect overall ICT assets in the public and private sector. These are based in Pretoria and Johannesburg.
Under focused mentorship, coaching and supervision, the Intern will be required to:
- Conduct technical research and development on emerging information and/or cyber security systems, including identity systems (biometric systems);
- Design, develop and/or pilot emerging information and cybersecurity technologies and related systems;
- Assess, evaluate, and update diverse cyber security systems across multiple technology environments against vulnerabilities and threats;
- Deploy, manage, monitor and/or operate information and cyber security systems, tools and/or devices (such as firewalls, proxies, servers, network access control, active directory and/or other related security infrastructure or tools) across different application domains;
- Prepare, review, and publish technical reports and/or articles in local forums.
Qualifications, skills and experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree in information technology, computer science/engineering or related fields;
- An Honours degree in information technology, computer science/engineering or related will be advantageous;
- Knowledge of Information and Cyber Security topics such as network security, mobile security, identity management, data security, web security, database security, governance, and/or cyber security in general;
- Knowledge in software design and development;
- Knowledge in the following is essential:
- Linux and Windows Operating Systems including Virtual Machines;
- Computer literacy and competency in MS Office;
- Good analytical and problem solving skills
- Good written and oral communication skills;
- Ability to independently conduct research, capture research results and write technical reports;
- Ability to interact with peers and superiors;
- Ability to work across diverse information and cyber security domains;
- Ability to solve challenging and complex technical security problems;
- Ability to innovate and create new solutions for current cyber security problems;
- Ability to plan, prioritise and time management;
- Ability to work independently in a team context;
- Ability to take ownership of own career and development;
- Ability to work well under pressure, decision-oriented and meet deadlines;
- Willingness to acquire new skills.
For More Information:
Leverage pad is the fastest growing hub for opportunities, fellowships, scholarships, grants and so much. Click here to join our facebook group and stay connected